top of page

Toy Museum

Designing A New Experience For A Traditional Brick And Mortar Store

Student Project

This is my first group project since starting out in GA's UXDI course. But more hands does not always means less work. This time we were tasked with designing a website for a local toy store. While business requirements and a few personas were given at the start, we had to synthesize the data and come up with an interactive prototype, along with other deliverables like user flows, storyboards and more.

_ Project



Data Synthesis

Business Analysis

Scenario & Storyboarding

Information Architecture

Wireframe & Prototyping

Usability Tests


A brand new e-commerce website which combines the look and feel of a traditional local toy shop with a chic, user-centric design. 


How can we make the e-commerce user experience match the magical service provided by a 20 year old, friendly, charming toy shop.

The Process


The major design hurdle of this project was coming up with an intuitive navigation which cater to the needs of all three of our personas. In order to achieve this, we asked our friends to participate in a series of card sorting, where they were asked to categorise various items into logical groups. Wireframes and an interactive prototype was then produced to help further test user experience of our design.

Wait! There's More!

Check out my other cool projects in the Portfolio page. Or if you like to chat, just email me here. 

For this project, our team was given three personas at the beginning along with a list of business requirements. This information was used to guide the direction of further research. We started off by conducting business analysis to create a list of must have features. The next step was comparing the three personas in hopes of identifying any common patterns which may shed light on a clearer design direction. We also ran a series of competitive analysis on several popular e-commerce sites to help us generate useful features. 

Secondary Research

Storyboards were created for each of the three user groups based on the scenarios included in the personas. These were not only used for creating the user flow of the website, but also served as a quick discount version of journey maps. We were able to then come up with a list of features specifically designed for our target users. 


For our usability tests, we recruited 6 participants within our personal network who best matched the profiles from the three personas. During the tests, they were each given a series of tasks such as searching for a specific item or making a purchase online. We would then conclude the tests with a few follow up questions.


While most participants were able to complete the tasks successfully, the tests proved to be extremely informative as the results helped us identify a few major problems with the initial design. Recommendations were then made for future iterations of the website.

bottom of page